Saturday, October 20, 2012

Heads up display.

Hi everyone,

Since i wanted to start creating more abilities and actually use them the way it is intended (through the quick-bar) i had to start making a HUD. I have some Photoshop skills but i lack on the artistic skills to come up with something nice and consistent for my game. But that did not stop me from having a shot at it. So i started on a basic hud, i am fairly pleased with it. I really like the quick-bar boxes and the round health/mana bar. I added a background which is not from me (alienbreed) to check if it is readable on a blue-ish background which my game will have a lot.

So that is what i came up with for now. I decided to leave this for now since it consumed a lot of time and i want to start adding more mechanics to the game.

So now i have to figure out how i want the quick-bar to function. Perhaps right-click to pick a ability or item to put in the slot. Or go with a more common drag and drop system from a ability window or inventory window. To use the ability the player has to choose a target then a left click on the quick-bar or corresponding key stroke (0 - 9) will perform the ability.

Anyway, i just brought my sweet girlfriend home and have the rest of the weekend to work on the game. Hope i do well and perhaps work till Sunday without large breaks or sleep. I want to make some good progress. Please support me by following this blog and tell me what you think. I will consider all the input from people posting comments.

The following video shows you how far the combat mechanics are developed by the time of this post.


The developer,
 MadMenyo

2 comments:

  1. maybe you should make the healthbar a little lighter blue or something because it could get confusing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First i had the health bar red. But that did not look consistent with the design. I agree to make it more distinct from the flux/magic bar and a lighter blue might do that. What also troubles me is the readability with the background, so i might add a background for the entire hud, but that reduces the view of the map.

    ReplyDelete